Lodging for conference delegates will be at our 4-star on campus hotel--the Morris Inn.
In 2012, Ernestine Raclin, daughter of the original hotel benefactors, along with her family and the Carmichael Foundation, provided a gift to the University for the purpose of funding a major renovation and expansion of the Morris Inn. On October 21, 2012, the Inn was closed for the first time in 60 years and the project began.
Construction was managed by Skanska. In a joint venture, architectural and interior design was provided by Solomon Cordwell Buenz and Getty’s Hospitality Design. The University is seeking LEED Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council for the building’s design and construction. The Morris Inn was awarded a Four Diamond rating from the AAA Diamond Rating Process, North America’s premier hotel rating program.
The Morris Inn was built on the campus of the University of Notre Dame in 1950 as the first structure of the Notre Dame post-war building program. It was made possible through a generous donation from 1906 Notre Dame alumnus, Ernest M. Morris and his wife, Ella L. Morris.
The hotel was originally designed by Holabird, Root, and Burgee Architects; constructed by Sollitt Construction Company of South Bend; and decorated by B. Altman Company of New York. When it opened April 21, 1952, it featured 85 twin guest rooms and 7 double rooms.
According to the first Morris Inn hotel manager, Edward Hunt, it was hoped that the Morris Inn would help introduce many new friends to Notre Dame as well as serve the many old friends and supporters who the University valued so highly.
Today, the Morris Inn, known as the “living room of the University,” is still the focal point for campus hospitality. Many things have changed since 1952, but what has not changed, nor will, is the warmth and cordiality with which our guests are greeted and treated.